How to do transition to Warrior 1, from Downward Dog; Step-by-step
- Start lengthening the sides of your body while in downdog.
- Pull knee to chest, and do this using your core muscles.
- Continue to push the floor away from you with your hands, and lengthen along the lats, and continue pulling the core in and knee towards chest.
- Carefully and slowly place the foot in between the hands, without shifting the hips or lifting your hands.
- Spin the back foot down so that it’s pointing around 45 degrees, and begin to lift the inner arch of the ankle, and firm up the thigh.
- Place hands on hip to make sure hips have not shifted. They should be square.
- Lengthen through the spine as you rise to standing.
- Continue to pull the tailbone down towards your heels, pull lower belly in, and firm back thigh.
- Square the back hip forward, and draw front thigh back into hip bone.
- Now you are in Warrior 1.
- If you choose to raise arms overhead, make sure your shoulders are externally rotated.
- Hold for 5-10 breathes.